Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting
Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting

How can my limited company reimburse me for using my own car for Business Activities

May 27, 2021

If you prefer to have the company reimburse you for business travel where you use your own car, you can reimburse the actual receipts for fuel, or use HMRC’s approval mileage rates. We have attempted to detail the implications of this below: 

HMRC’s approved mileage rates 

HMRC’s rates are currently 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles per annum and 25p per mile over 10,000 miles. These amounts can be paid directly from the limited to you or your employees free of tax and national insurance. The company can also deduct this payment from its accounts as an expense. 

You do not need to keep receipts, but it is crucial to keep accurate mileage logs of all your business journeys, that include: 

  • Date of travel 
  • From destination 
  • To destination 
  • Purpose of trip 
  • Number of miles 
  • Name of person & business you are visiting 


Actual fuel receipts 

If your receipt needs to be reimbursed in line with the actual fuel receipt amounts, the business can pay this to you or your employees free of tax and national insurance. 

When you provide fuel for yourself or employees, it is crucial to differentiate the business from the private provision and hold records to prove this. 

This is because there is a benefit in kind created when there is private usage of the fuel being reimbursed. 

                                                                        Fuel is provided wholly for business use 

Fuel provided for business use and private use 

There is no Benefit in Kind and so no additional payable tax. An employee deemed to be receiving a taxable Benefit in Kind. The benefit is calculated by multiplying the appropriate percentage by £21,700. £21,700 is a fixed amount, regardless of how much fuel has been provided to the employee for private mileage. 


All the VAT on fuel is claimable. 



Even though the company will reclaim all the VAT on the fuel, they must pay the appropriate fuel scale charge to HMRC to make up for the estimated personal use element. 


You must keep records to show the provided fuel was not used for private purposes. You can demonstrate this to HMRC through accurate mileage records or payments made by the employee back to the company for any private fuel.  

Tax Considerations 

Mileage rates tend to be the most tax-efficient mechanism for your limited company to reimburse you as the amount per mileage tends to be higher than reality as it is meant to incorporate an assumed portion of wear and tear on your car. However, any VAT on the receipts would be lost via the mileage claim, so it is important to consider this.  

Note – if you have purchased the car via the company the situation is different for mileage allowance and the reimbursement of fuel so please do not rely on this article for this scenario 

more tips

Can You Claim Food as a Business Expense?

The golden rule when claiming business expenses is that the cost must be “wholly and exclusively” for business purposes. So, where do you stand when it comes to food and drink? After all, everyone needs these things to survive. When does it become an allowable expense? Read on to find out when your business can claim food and drink as an expense.

Self-Employed National Insurance Class 2 and Class 4 Rates

If you are sixteen and over, self-employed (sole trader or in a partnership) and making a profit befitting the ‘small profits threshold’, you are liable to pay national insurance.

Key UK Personal Tax Year Dates & Deadlines 2021/2022

Are deadlines creeping up on you? Spondoo is here to ensure you keep on top of things and take control again. These are the important dates you should take note of.

How To Set Up A Limited Company 

A Step-by-Step Guide  This is an easy-to-understand, step-by-step guide, to opening a successful limited company. But before we dive in, let’s check the legality surrounding it. 

Accountants in Haslemere, Surrey

We are qualified accountants providing personal and professional services for start-ups, established companies and individuals in and around the Halsemere area in Surrey. With the rise in technology, we have embraced the digitisation of accounting using efficient digital accounting tools to offer reliable services to our customers. Our goal remains to get our clients the best accounting and taxation services at the most affordable rates.

Onsite Canteen and Lunch Vouchers - Are They Taxable?

The provision of food and drink to an employee by their employer is a lovely thing to do. Eventually, it promotes teamwork, loyalty, a sense of belonging and even improves productivity. Taking it at face value makes it look like a simple act of kindness. However, unless it is done correctly, it can cause tax and national insurance compliance issues for the employer.
1 2 3 40
Information provided on the site is merely guidance that may change in line with UK law and regulations. Users must not consider this to be financial advice or their sole resource when making any financial decision. Spondoo is a trading name for Accounting SQL Limited, authorised & license accounting firm under the Institute of Financial Accountants.
© Copyright 2023 - Spondoo - All Rights Reserved
How, can we help?
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram