Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting
Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting

How to find my lost National Insurance Number (NINO) or Apply for a new one 

July 26, 2022

What is National Insurance – who needs it? 

A National Insurance number (NINO) is the number given to you by the UK government to keep track of your tax record and benefit entitlements. The Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) (England, Scotland, and Wales) and the Department for Social Development (DSD – for Northern Ireland) will issue you a National Insurance number (NINO) just before your 16th birthday if your parents made child benefit claims. If your parents or guardians have not claimed child benefits, you must apply for a National Insurance number – if you intend to work in the UK. 

Benefits of having NINo

If you have your NINO, you can: 

  • Apply for a student loan. 
  • Work in the UK – you can only work in the UK for nine weeks without a National Insurance Number. 
  • Claim benefits in the UK. 
  • Make Class 3 voluntary National Insurance contributions payments. 

Who can apply in the UK? 

You are eligible to apply for NINO if you meet the following conditions: 

  • You live in the United Kingdom. 
  • You have the right to work or study in the UK. 
  • Work status – looking to work, have received a job offer, or are already working in the UK. 

What documents do I need to apply for NINO? 

To apply for the National Insurance Number – you will need legal and personal identity verification documents.  

Legal identity documents

You must have a valid UK address where your National Insurance Number will be sent – in addition to any of the following: 

  • Passport 
  • An ID card from any country in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, or Liechtenstein.  
  • Biometrics Residence Card BRP (if you have a visa) 

Proof of identity – uploading photos

While registering for NINO, you may have to take and upload digital photos that prove your identity. DWP may request you to take: 

  • A picture of yourself holding your passport. 
  • Images of your identity documents (as mentioned above). 

However, if you cannot prove your identity online, you may need to: 

  • Post photocopies of your documents after the application. 
  • Attend a proof of identity appointment with DWP. 

How to apply for National Insurance Number – step by step 

The application process is divided into two – online application and final steps to follow before sending. 

Online application

To apply for NINO: 

NINo application

  • Answer the question on if you have applied for a National Insurance number before. If not, select NO and click Continue. 

Have you applied for National Insurance before

  • Select the correct situation – whether you are working or looking for work in the UK. Then click Continue. 

Working or looking for work in the UK

  • Enter your full name as shown on the identity documents you are using to apply for a National Insurance number. 

Full name as shown in the identity documents

  • Have you had a different name before? In this question, you may enter your Maiden name – if you changed your name after you got married. 

Previous names/maiden name

  • Fill in your gender – male or female. 


  • Fill in your Nationality – if you have dual citizenship, click on I have dual nationality/citizenship and follow the instructions. 


  • Enter your date of birth and click Continue. 

Date of birth

  • Choose Yes/No on whether you were born in the UK and click Continue. 

If born in the UK

  • Fill in the date on which you first arrived in the UK – if you were not born in the UK. 

Date when first moved to the UK

  • Enter a valid UK address – to which your NINO is sent. 


Request to send letters

  • DWP will ask if they can send you an e-mail with your Application Reference Number and the next steps of the application. Select Yes/No and click Continue. If you click Yes, enter a valid e-mail address. 

Request to send email

  • Answer appropriately on whether you want DWP to phone you. If you selected Yes, enter your phone number. 

Request phone number

  • HMRC will ask you if you have a passport – answer appropriately. If the answer is Yes, HMRC will request you to fill in your passport number. The following steps will depend on whether you are from the EU or not. 

Passport question

  • If you say no passport and are from the EU – DWP will ask for your ID card. You are also going to select your status under the EU settlement scheme. 
  • If you don’t have a passport and are not from the EU –  DWP will ask you if you have a biometric residence permit (BRP) – answer appropriately. If yes, enter the number. 

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Question

  • If you are not from the UK, the next question will be if you have a visa to live and work in the UK? If you do, DWP will ask if you have a visa sticker (vignette) in your passport. 
  • If you do not have a VISA, DWP will ask if you have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme – Answer appropriately and click Continue. 
  • Next – confirm if you can upload digital photos of your documents and a picture of you holding your documents. Answer Yes or No and click Continue. 

Can you upload digital photos

  • If Yes, you will be redirected to a page where you can take and upload your photos. Upload the correct digital pictures and follow subsequent prompts. After checking if your photo meets the requirements- click Continue. 

Upload photos


Upload necessary digital photos

  • If No, DWP will inform you how to book an appointment to prove your identity. 
  • In the next step – check your answers and correct any errors you may have made. If everything is okay, check the tiny box at the bottom and click Accept and send. 

Send application

  • You will receive an e-mail with a copy of the subsequent steps – also shown on the next screen. 

Final steps of the application 

These are the final steps:

1. Print form CA5400D PDF

You must print out and fill in the various fields in the form. It is also crucial to remember DWP’s guidelines on share codes: 

  • If you live in the UK, you must provide a share code on your application to prove your settlement status. 
  • Those who arrived in the UK through a visa do not need to add a share code.  

2. Attach document photocopies

You should attach relevant documents depending on your circumstance: 

  • EU-Citizens: include photocopies of your ID, front and back or your passport. Whichever one you used to apply for settled or pre-settled status. 
  • If you moved to the UK- include copies of:  Passport details page, Vignette Page and BRP – front and back.

3. Posting

You must then post the form with the attached documents to: 

Glasgow NINo Centre 

Mail Handling Site A 


WV98 1BR 

How long should I wait before I get my NINO after application? 

You will most probably receive your National Insurance Number eight weeks after application. If you don’t get your number after eight weeks, contact DWP’s National Insurance application helpline via the numbers below. 

How to contact the National Insurance application helpline 

Depending on your country and preferred language, you can reach them through:


England, Scotland, and Wales – English 

Telephone: 0800 141 2079 

Textphone: 0800 141 2438 

British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service  


England, Scotland, and Wales – Welsh 

Telephone: 0800 141 2349 

Textphone: 0800 141 2438 

British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service  


Northern Ireland 

Telephone: 0800 587 0024 

Textphone: 0800 587 0194 

British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service. 


I have lost my Number – should I apply for a new one? 

You cannot apply for a new NINO if you already have one – even if your application details change. Instead, work on retrieving your old NINO (as discussed below). 

How to spot it

When looking for your National Insurance, it is crucial to understand what you are searching for. Usually, the format of the number is: 

  • Two prefix letters 
  • Six digits 
  • One suffix letter. 

For example, the number would read AC654321A.  

Where to find your lost National Insurance number  

You can find your National Insurance number in any of the following three ways: 

On a document

You can find your National Insurance number on any of the following documents: 

  • Letters sent to you by HMRC about benefits, pensions, or tax. 
  • Payslips 
  • P60 



To find your National Insurance number:

Personal tax account - NINO

  • Navigate to the ‘Your Profile’ tab.
  • You can then view, download, print, save or share a letter that has your number. 



Ask the National Insurance Enquiries helpline

If you check and still can’t find your NINO – you can: 

  • Fill in form CA5403 and send it to the address on the form. 
  • Contact the National Insurance numbers helpline and answer some questions (you’ll need to fill in form CA5403 if you cannot answer the questions). The numbers are: 

Telephone: 0300 200 3500 

Textphone: 0300 200 3519 

Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010 

After enquiry, they will post the number within 15 working days. 


For further guidance and support, please contact us.

more tips

Can You Claim Food as a Business Expense?

The golden rule when claiming business expenses is that the cost must be “wholly and exclusively” for business purposes. So, where do you stand when it comes to food and drink? After all, everyone needs these things to survive. When does it become an allowable expense? Read on to find out when your business can claim food and drink as an expense.

Self-Employed National Insurance Class 2 and Class 4 Rates

If you are sixteen and over, self-employed (sole trader or in a partnership) and making a profit befitting the ‘small profits threshold’, you are liable to pay national insurance.

Key UK Personal Tax Year Dates & Deadlines 2021/2022

Are deadlines creeping up on you? Spondoo is here to ensure you keep on top of things and take control again. These are the important dates you should take note of.

How To Set Up A Limited Company 

A Step-by-Step Guide  This is an easy-to-understand, step-by-step guide, to opening a successful limited company. But before we dive in, let’s check the legality surrounding it. 

Accountants in Haslemere, Surrey

We are qualified accountants providing personal and professional services for start-ups, established companies and individuals in and around the Halsemere area in Surrey. With the rise in technology, we have embraced the digitisation of accounting using efficient digital accounting tools to offer reliable services to our customers. Our goal remains to get our clients the best accounting and taxation services at the most affordable rates.

Onsite Canteen and Lunch Vouchers - Are They Taxable?

The provision of food and drink to an employee by their employer is a lovely thing to do. Eventually, it promotes teamwork, loyalty, a sense of belonging and even improves productivity. Taking it at face value makes it look like a simple act of kindness. However, unless it is done correctly, it can cause tax and national insurance compliance issues for the employer.
1 2 3 39
Information provided on the site is merely guidance that may change in line with UK law and regulations. Users must not consider this to be financial advice or their sole resource when making any financial decision. Spondoo is a trading name for Accounting SQL Limited, authorised & license accounting firm under the Institute of Financial Accountants.
© Copyright 2023 - Spondoo - All Rights Reserved
How, can we help?
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram