Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting
Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting

How to set up, change or cancel from VAT Direct Debit with HMRC

May 27, 2021

Using Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay for VAT online because payments are taken automatically from your bank account three working days after the due date on your VAT return – and then take three days to process. Once you set up your Direct Debit, you only need to remember to check if you have enough money in your bank account. 

VAT Direct Debit Requirements 

To set up Direct Debit, you must have the following: 

  • A UK-registered bank account – that issues currency in British pounds.  
  • Your bank or building society must accept Direct Debit Instructions – for the account you want to use. Direct Debit collections can only be made once the Direct Debit Instruction is undertaken. 
  • A valid working email address – HMRC will use it to send you important notifications about your Direct Debit. The complete messages will be available in your online tax account. 
  • Ensure enough money is in your account to cover the payment amount due. 
  • Be authorised to sign for the account as either the – sole signatory or on behalf of other signatories. If more than one signature is required to permit the Direct Debit on this account, you must complete a paper version of the mandate form. 

It is also important to note that: 

  • Set up your VAT Direct Debit at least three days before the return deadline – to ensure payments are made on time. 
  • You can cancel your VAT Direct Debit up to 5 working days before your VAT payment is due by notifying your bank and HMRC. 
  • File your VAT on time to avoid penalties. 
  • Your bank may cancel your Direct Debit Instruction if it has not been used for 13 months – from the day of setting up or from the date of the last payment. 
  • The Direct Debit will only process the amount requested by HMRC in advance. Consequently, you must arrange to pay other VAT liabilities like surcharges, penalties, or interest by other payment methods. 

How to set up Direct Debit for VAT with HMRC 

To set up your VAT Direct Debit, follow the following instructions: 

  • Sign in to your HMRC online account. 
  • Select ‘VAT Account’
  • Navigate to “Manage VAT account.” 

  • Select “Payments and Repayments.”  
  • Choose “Set up a Direct Debit.”

  • Select an e-mail to be associated with the account. 

  • Add your bank account information. 

How to Change your VAT Direct Debit  

You must tell HMRC at least 14 days in advance if you’re changing your bank details. To inform HMRC of the bank changes – you may: 

  • Call the following numbers: 

In the UK: 0300 200 3700  

Outside the UK: +44 2920 501 261 


HM Revenue and Customs  

BX9 1WR  

United Kingdom 

You must also inform your bank to change your Direct Debit details within five banking days before or after your VAT return is due. 

You must write to the Annual Accounting Registration Unit to change your Direct Debit details if you use the Annual Accounting Scheme. It is important to include your registration number in the letter and send it to: 


HM Revenue and Customs 

BX9 1WR 

United Kingdom 

How to Cancel VAT Direct Debit 

To cancel your Direct Debit online, follow the following steps: 

  • Log in to your HMRC online account. 
  • Navigate to “VAT account.”  
  • Select your VAT account from the home screen. 
  • Choose “Payments and repayments” from the VAT account screen. 
  • Click “Manage your Direct Debit” 
  • Select the link “Cancel my Direct Debit.” 
  • The next screen will confirm that your Direct Debit is cancelled. 

NOTE: You can also change your bank account on an existing direct debit for collecting your VAT.

Do you have any VAT-related needs? Call us at 02033 259 341 or email for VAT support – and Making Tax Digital for VAT registration and filing. 


more tips

Can You Claim Food as a Business Expense?

The golden rule when claiming business expenses is that the cost must be “wholly and exclusively” for business purposes. So, where do you stand when it comes to food and drink? After all, everyone needs these things to survive. When does it become an allowable expense? Read on to find out when your business can claim food and drink as an expense.

Self-Employed National Insurance Class 2 and Class 4 Rates

If you are sixteen and over, self-employed (sole trader or in a partnership) and making a profit befitting the ‘small profits threshold’, you are liable to pay national insurance.

Key UK Personal Tax Year Dates & Deadlines 2021/2022

Are deadlines creeping up on you? Spondoo is here to ensure you keep on top of things and take control again. These are the important dates you should take note of.

How To Set Up A Limited Company 

A Step-by-Step Guide  This is an easy-to-understand, step-by-step guide, to opening a successful limited company. But before we dive in, let’s check the legality surrounding it. 

Accountants in Haslemere, Surrey

We are qualified accountants providing personal and professional services for start-ups, established companies and individuals in and around the Halsemere area in Surrey. With the rise in technology, we have embraced the digitisation of accounting using efficient digital accounting tools to offer reliable services to our customers. Our goal remains to get our clients the best accounting and taxation services at the most affordable rates.

Onsite Canteen and Lunch Vouchers - Are They Taxable?

The provision of food and drink to an employee by their employer is a lovely thing to do. Eventually, it promotes teamwork, loyalty, a sense of belonging and even improves productivity. Taking it at face value makes it look like a simple act of kindness. However, unless it is done correctly, it can cause tax and national insurance compliance issues for the employer.
1 2 3 39
Information provided on the site is merely guidance that may change in line with UK law and regulations. Users must not consider this to be financial advice or their sole resource when making any financial decision. Spondoo is a trading name for Accounting SQL Limited, authorised & license accounting firm under the Institute of Financial Accountants.
© Copyright 2023 - Spondoo - All Rights Reserved
How, can we help?
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram