Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting
Call for Assistance: 02033 259 341
Spondoo Accounting

I'm selling assets from my company; do I need to charge VAT? Cars, Vans, Furniture, Computers & Tools

July 26, 2023

If you are selling assets owned by your VAT registered business, the general rules on whether or not to charge VAT are as follows:

  1. Reclaimed VAT on the initial purchase: If you reclaimed VAT on the assets’ initial purchase, you will almost always need to charge VAT on the onward sale.
  2. Brand new goods from a non-VAT registered supplier: If you acquired brand new goods from a supplier who is not VAT registered, you will almost always need to charge VAT on the onward sale.
  3. Second-hand goods using the Margin Scheme: If you acquired second-hand goods from a VAT registered supplier using the Margin Scheme, you usually do not need to charge VAT on the onward sale.
  4. Vehicles and components: For vehicles and components, you might not have reclaimed VAT on the initial purchase due to personal use restrictions. In such cases, you do not need to charge VAT on the onward sale.
  5. Purchased assets before VAT registration: If you bought the assets before you were VAT registered but would have otherwise been able to reclaim VAT, you will need to charge VAT on the onward sale. However, if the assets were purchased more than 4 years ago, you may be able to reclaim VAT on the original purchase.

For expert advice, please contact us.

more tips

Can You Claim Food as a Business Expense?

The golden rule when claiming business expenses is that the cost must be “wholly and exclusively” for business purposes. So, where do you stand when it comes to food and drink? After all, everyone needs these things to survive. When does it become an allowable expense? Read on to find out when your business can claim food and drink as an expense.

Self-Employed National Insurance Class 2 and Class 4 Rates

If you are sixteen and over, self-employed (sole trader or in a partnership) and making a profit befitting the ‘small profits threshold’, you are liable to pay national insurance.

Key UK Personal Tax Year Dates & Deadlines 2021/2022

Are deadlines creeping up on you? Spondoo is here to ensure you keep on top of things and take control again. These are the important dates you should take note of.

How To Set Up A Limited Company 

A Step-by-Step Guide  This is an easy-to-understand, step-by-step guide, to opening a successful limited company. But before we dive in, let’s check the legality surrounding it. 

Accountants in Haslemere, Surrey

We are qualified accountants providing personal and professional services for start-ups, established companies and individuals in and around the Halsemere area in Surrey. With the rise in technology, we have embraced the digitisation of accounting using efficient digital accounting tools to offer reliable services to our customers. Our goal remains to get our clients the best accounting and taxation services at the most affordable rates.

Onsite Canteen and Lunch Vouchers - Are They Taxable?

The provision of food and drink to an employee by their employer is a lovely thing to do. Eventually, it promotes teamwork, loyalty, a sense of belonging and even improves productivity. Taking it at face value makes it look like a simple act of kindness. However, unless it is done correctly, it can cause tax and national insurance compliance issues for the employer.
1 2 3 40
Information provided on the site is merely guidance that may change in line with UK law and regulations. Users must not consider this to be financial advice or their sole resource when making any financial decision. Spondoo is a trading name for Accounting SQL Limited, authorised & license accounting firm under the Institute of Financial Accountants.
© Copyright 2023 - Spondoo - All Rights Reserved
How, can we help?
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram